Highly scalable NAS designed for virtualization, data-intensive applications and service continuity for large scale businesses
Sorry, this product is no longer available, replaced by the RS4021xs+.
Designed to meet tomorrow's intensive storage requirements, Synology RackStation RS4017xs+ provides reliable, high-performance network attached storage for enterprises seeking rock-solid stability along with business collaboration applications and virtualization acceleration. With up to 40 drive scalability, RS4017xs+ simplifies data management with minimal time investment required for setup and maintenance. Synology RS4017xs+ is backed by Synology's 5-year limited warranty.
- 3U chassis and 16 drive trays design to provide high storage capacity
- Ultra-high performance of over 4,900 MB/s sequential read throughput and 690,000 sequential read IOPS
- Intel Xeon D-1541 8-core CPU and 8GB (up to 64GB) DDR4 ECC UDIMM
- Dual 10GBase-T ports and optional 10GbE NICs support, providing up to 6 x 10GbE ports for maximum performance throughput
- Scale up to 40 drives with 2 x Synology RX1217/RX1217RP
- Complete virtualization solution for VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Hyper-V, and OpenStack
- Advanced Btrfs file system offering 65,000 system-wide snapshots and 1,024 snapshots per shared folder
- Backed with 5 year, next business day replacement service
Powerful Storage Solution with Ample Upgradability
Equipped with an Intel Xeon D-1541 8-core CPU, 8GB DDR4 ECC UDIMM, and 16 x 3.5" drive bays in a 3U form factor , Synology RS4017xs+ is the ideal companion for intensive data processing, video post-productions, and virtualization applications that increasingly require more storage space.
RS4017xs+ comes natively with dual 10GBase-T ports and four Gigabit ports, along with two 8-lane PCIe 3.0 slots for additional high performance network interface cards (NICs). When configured with 6 x 10GbE ports with Link Aggregation enabled, RS4017xs+ provides ultra-high sequential throughput at over 4,900 MB/s and 690,000 sequential IOPS .
System memory and storage capacity of RS4017xs+ can be further extended. Up to 64GB of DDR4 ECC UDIMM can be installed to support multiple virtualization instances, and with two Synology RX1217/RX1217RP2 expansion units connected, a combined total of 40 drive bays can be freely arranged for storage management.
Rock-Solid Data Protection
The Snapshot Replication application provides schedulable, near-instantaneous data protection. It replicates 65,000 system-wide backup copies to offsite servers and local volumes, bringing near-instantaneous data protection and ensuring data in shared folders or virtual machines in iSCSI LUNs remain available in the event of a disaster.
With block-level incremental backup and cross-version deduplication, Synology Hyper Backup provides multi-version backup with optimized storage space utilization and allows multiple backup destinations to local shared folders, external hard drives, network shared folders, rsync server, and public cloud services.
Btrfs: Next Generation Storage Efficiency
RS4017xs+ integrates the Btrfs file system, bringing the most advanced storage technologies to meet the management needs of modern large-scale businesses:
- Flexible Shared Folder / User Quota System provides comprehensive quota control on all user accounts and shared folders.
- Advanced snapshot technology with customizable backup schedule allows up to 1,024 copies of shared folder backups and 65,000 copies of system-wide snapshots without occupying huge storage capacity and system resources.
- File or folder level data restoration brings huge convenience and saves time for users who wish to restore only a specific file or folder.
- File self-healing: Btrfs file system is able to auto-detect corrupted files with mirrored metadata, and recover broken data using the supported RAID volumes, which include RAID 1, 5, 6, and 10.
RS4017xs+ provides seamless storage solutions for virtualization environments, including VMware, Citrix, Hyper-V, and OpenStack. With VMware vSphere 6 and VAAI integration certified, RS4017xs+ helps offload specific storage operations and optimizes computation power for unparalleled performance and efficiency in VMware environments. Windows Offloaded Data Transfer (ODX) and Synology Advanced LUN support greatly improves the efficiency on massive data transfer and migration. With OpenStack support, RS4017xs+ can be used as a block-based storage component for servers complying with the Cinder API.
Comprehensive Business Applications
Powered by the innovative Synology DiskStation Manager (DSM), RS4017xs+ comes fully-equipped with applications and features designed specifically for largescale business:
- Windows AD and LDAP support allowing easy integration with existing business directory services without recreating user accounts.
- Windows ACL support provides fine-grained access control and efficient privilege settings, allowing RS18017xs+ to fit seamlessly into current infrastructure.
- MailPlus allows your business to set up a secure, reliable, and private mail server while giving your employees a modern mail client for receiving and sending messages.
- Powerful collaboration suite that includes Synology Office, Calendar and Chat for secure and high-performance private communications and user-friendly content organization.
Reliability, Availability & Disaster Recovery
System reliability is of paramount importance to businesses which depend upon their commercial servers every day. RS4017xs+ responds to these concerns with wide-ranging availability and redundancy features:
- Synology High Availability ensures a seamless transition between clustered servers in the event of server failure with minimal impact on applications.
- Redundant power supplies, system fans and network ports with failover support ensure maximum continuous service uptime.
- High-reliability system design, including fan-less CPU heatsink and passive cooling technology, prevents single points of failure.
- DDR4 ECC RDIMM reduces power consumption and has error detection and correction capabilities during data transmission.
Powerful storage solution
RS4017xs+ provides rock-solid storage solution with ultra-high performance at over 844,000 sequential read IOPS and 5,900 MB/s sequential read throughput1. DDR4 ECC UDIMM and 10GbE connectivity guarantees data accuracy and performance for mission-critical environment.
Robust scalability and reliability
Storage capacity of RS4017xs+ can be further scaled up when connected to two Synology Expansion Unit RX1217 or RX1217RP2, providing a total drive number of 40 without disrupting host services.
Fully certified storage virtualization solutions
Synology iSCSI storage fully supports most virtualization solutions to enhance work efficiency with easy management interface. VMware vSphere 6 and VAAI integration helps offload storage operations and optimizes computation efficiency. Windows Offloaded Data Transfer (ODX) speeds up data transfer and migration rate. OpenStack Cinder support turns your Synology NAS into a block-based storage component.
Btrfs: Next generation storage efficiency
Btrfs file system introduces the most advanced storage technologies to meet the management needs of modern large scale businesses:
- Flexible Shared Folder/User Quota System provides comprehensive quota control on all user accounts and shared folders
- Snapshot Replication provides schedulable and storage capacity-saving data protection with 1,024 shared folder backups and 65,000 system-wide snapshots
- File or folder level data restoration makes data recovery fast and flexible
- Automatic file self-healing detects and recovers corrupted files without user intervention
5 year warranty
Synology's 5-year limited warranty provides hardware replacement and technical support via email and telephone services, maximizing your enterprises' return on investment.
Powered by Synology DSM
Synology High Availability
Ensures seamless service transition between clustered servers in the event of a server failure.
Store multiple backup versions with block-level incremental data backup and cross-version deduplication.
Cloud Station Suite
Synchronize cross-platform data automatically with file version control on all your devices.
Manage multiple Synology NAS servers simultaneously on a centralized interface to increase business efficiency.
Secure, reliable, and private mail server solution with an intuitive and modern mail client.
Synology Office, Calendar and Chat guarantee a secure and high-performance private communication and user-friendly content organization.
- Power button and indicator
- Beep off button
- Drive status indicator
- Drive tray
- PSU fan
- Power port
- PSU indicator
- Console port
- 1GbE RJ-45 port
- 10GbE RJ-45 port
- USB 3.0 port
- Expansion port
- PCIe 3.0 slot
- Reset button
|CPU Model||Intel Xeon D-1531|
|CPU Frequency||8-Core 2.1 (base) / 2.7 (turbo) GHz|
|Hardware Encryption Engine|
|System Memory||8 GB DDR4 ECC RDIMM|
|Memory Module Pre-installed||8GB (1 x 8GB)|
|Total Memory Slots||4|
|Memory Expandable up to||64 GB (16 GB x 4)|
|Maximum Drive Bays with Expansion Unit||40|
|Compatible Drive Type*||
|Maximum Internal Raw Capacity||160 TB (10 TB drive x 16) (Capacity may vary by RAID types)|
|Maximum Raw Capacity with Expansion Units||400 TB (10 TB drive x 96) (Capacity may vary by RAID types)|
|Maximum Single Volume Size||
|Hot Swappable Drive|
|RJ-45 1GbE LAN Port||4 (with Link Aggregation / Failover support)|
|RJ-45 10GbE LAN Port||2 (with Link Aggregation / Failover support)|
|USB 3.0 Port||2|
|PCIe Expansion||2 x Gen3 x8 slot (x8 link)|
|Add-in-card support||PCIe Network Interface Card|
|Notes||exFAT Access is purchased separately in Package Center.|
|Size (Height X Width X Depth)||132.3 mm x 482 mm x 656.5 mm|
|System Fan||80 mm x 80 mm x 3 pcs|
|Fan Speed Mode||
|Easy Replacement System Fan|
|Noise Level||44.7 dB(A)|
|Scheduled Power On/Off|
|Wake on LAN/WAN|
|Power Supply Unit / Adapter||2 x 800W|
|AC Input Power Voltage||100V to 240V AC|
|Power Frequency||50/60 Hz, Single Phase|
|Power Consumption*||136.4 W (Access)
69.2 W (HDD Hibernation)
|British Thermal Unit||465.7 BTU/hr (Access)
236.3 BTU/hr (HDD Hibernation)
|Redundant Power Supply (for xs+ and RP model)|
|Operating Temperature||5°C to 35°C (40°F to 95°F)|
|Storage Temperature||-20°C to 60°C (-5°F to 140°F)|
|Relative Humidity||5% to 95% RH|
|Networking protocol||CIFS, AFP, NFS, FTP, WebDAV, CalDAV, iSCSI, Telnet, SSH, SNMP, VPN (PPTP, OpenVPN, L2TP)|
|Supported RAID type||Basic, JBOD, RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 6, RAID 10|
|File sharing capability||
|Privilege||Windows Access Control List (ACL)|
|Virtualization||VMware vSphere 6, Microsoft Hyper-V, Citrix, OpenStack|
|Directory service||Windows AD integration: Domain users login via Samba (CIFS) / AFP / FTP / File Station, LDAP integration|
|Security||FTP over SSL / TLS, IP auto-block, firewall, encrypted network backup over Rsync, HTTPS connection|
|Utilities||Synology Web Assistant, Cloud Station Drive, Cloud Station Backup, Cloud Sync Decryption Tool, Evidence Integrity Authenticator, Snapshot Manager for VMware, Snapshot Manager for Windows, NFS Plug-in for VMware VAAI|
|Supported client||Windows 7 onward, Mac OS X 10.10 onwards|
|Supported browser||Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 9 onwards, Safari 8 onwards; Safari (iOS 7 onwards), Chrome (Android 4.0 onwards) on tablets|
|Interface language||English, Deutsch, Français, Italiano, Español, Dansk, Norsk, Svensk, Nederlands, Русский, Polski, Magyar, Português do Brasil, Português Europeu, Türkçe, Český|
|File Station||Virtual drives, remote folders, Windows ACL editor, compressing/extracting archived files, bandwidth control for specific users/groups, creating sharing links, transfer logs|
|Backup solutions||Network backup; local backup; desktop backup; configuration backup; OS X Time Machine; backup data to public cloud; shared folder sync - maximum task number: 32|
|FTP Server||Bandwidth control for TCP connections, custom FTP passive port range, anonymous FTP, FTP SSL/TLS and SFTP protocol, boot over the network with TFTP and PXE support, transfer logs|
|High Availability Manager||Combines two RS18017xs+ into one high-availability cluster|
|Security Advisor||Malware detection / removal, user account / password, network, system-related security scan|
|iOS/Android applications||DS cloud, DS file, DS finder, DS cam, DS note, MailPlus, Chat|
|Windows Phone applications||DS file, DS finder|
|Antivirus Essential||Full system scan, scheduled scan, white list customization, virus definition auto update|
|Chat||A messaging service that runs locally, ensuring the safety of sensitive corporate information stored on company's premises and providing users a messaging experience equivalent to that of using a public cloud. Built to work with Office and Calendar seamlessly.|
|Cloud Station Suite||Maximum concurrent file transfers: 2,000, retain historical and deleted file versions|
|Cloud Sync||One or two-way synchronization with public cloud storage providers including Amazon Cloud Drive, Amazon S3-compatible storage, Baiduyun, Box, Dropbox, Google Cloud Storage, Google Drive, hubiC, Megafon Disk, Microsoft OneDrive, OpenStack Swift-compatible storage, WebDAV servers, Yandex Disk|
|Log Center||SSL connection, log rotation: 6 months, 1 year, 2 years, 3 years, email notification|
|MailPlus||Intuitive webmail interface for MailPlus Server; customizable mail labels, filters and user interface|
|MailPlus Server||Secure, reliable, and private mail solution with High-availability, load balancing, security and filtering design (Includes 5 free email account licenses, additional accounts require the purchasing of additional licenses)|
|Note Station||Rich-text note organization and versioning, encryption, sharing, media embedding and attachments|
|Office||Real-time collaboration on your private cloud. Collaborate on documents and spreadsheets on your secured company network while enjoying the convenience equivalent to that of a public cloud.|
|Storage Analyzer||Volume and quota usage, total size of files, volume usage and trends based on past usage, size of shared folders, largest/most/least frequently modified files|
|Surveillance Station||Maximum IP camera: 90 (total of 2,700 FPS at 720p, H.264) (Includes two free camera licenses, additional cameras require the purchasing of additional licenses)|
|VPN Server||Maximum connections: 30; supported VPN protocol: PPTP, OpenVPN, L2TP|
|Web Station||Virtual host (up to 30 websites), PHP/MariaDB, third-party application support|
|Other packages||Additional 3rd-party packages are available on Package Center|
|Environment & Packaging:|
*Model specifications are subject to change without notice. Please refer to www.synology.com for the latest information.
1 Performance figures may vary depending on environment, usage and configuration.
2 RS4017xs+ supports up to 2 Synology Expansion Unit RX1217/RX1217RP, sold separately.
3 exFAT Access is purchased separately in Package Center
Synology strives to enhance the performance of our NAS with every software update, even long after a product is launched. For enterprises and users that demand uncompromising performance from their servers, check the figures below to find the most suitable choice.
Aggregated 10GbE SMB - Sequential Throughput (64KB)
Aggregated 10GbE SMB - Sequential Throughput via Encrypted Shared Folder (64KB)
Aggregated 10GbE SMB - Sequential IOPS (4KB)
Aggregated 10GbE SMB - Random IOPS (4KB)
10GbE iSCSI - Random IOPS (4KB)
1GbE Web Server - HTML Response Efficiency
|Responses per second||206844.45||206230.02||206829.64||206029.56||203557.34||207195.69||203230.31||154099.02|
1GbE Web Server - PHP Response Efficiency
|Responses per second||59770.68||82017.29||94612.93||82507.9||60403.53||59953.64||57127.87||31322.65|
- Operating System: DSM 6.1
- Volume Type: RAID 5
- RC18015xs+ with RXD1215sas, RS18017xs+: Fully loaded with HGST HUSMH8020BSS200 SAS SSD
- DS3018xs: Fully loaded with Intel DC S3710 series 800GB SSDSC2BA800G4 SATA SSD
- Other models: Fully loaded with Intel 535 series 240GB SSDSC2BW240H6 SSD
- RS18017xs+: 32GB DDR4 ECC RDIMM (16GB x 2)
- RS4017xs+, RS3617xs+, RS3617RPxs: 16GB DDR4 ECC UDIMM (8GB x 2)
- DS3018xs: 32GB DDR4 ECC SO-DIMM (16GB x 2)
- Other models: System default capacity
- File System: Btrfs
- Aggregated 10GbE SMB and 10GbE iSCSI network environment:
- RS18017xs+, RS4017xs+, RS3617xs+: 6 x 10GbE ports (built-in 10GbE ports + 2 x Intel X540-T2 NIC); MTU 9000; connected to client PCs via Netgear M4300-24X24F switch
- RS3617RPxs, RS3617xs: 4 x 10GbE ports (2 x Intel X520-DA2 NIC); MTU 9000; connected to client PCs via Juniper QFX5100-48S-AFO switch
- RC18015xs+, DS3617xs, DS3018xs: 2 x 10GbE ports (1 x Intel X520-DA2 NIC); MTU 9000; connected to client PCs via Juniper QFX5100-48S-AFO switch
- For RS18017xs+, RS4017xs+, RS3617xs+: Intel Core i7-4790 3.60GHz; 4GB DDR3-1600; Synology E10G17-F2 NIC; MTU 9000; Windows 7 64 bit
- For other models: Intel Core i7-4790 3.60GHz; 4GB DDR3-1600; Intel X520-DA2 NIC; MTU 9000; Windows 7 64 bit
- IOMeter configuration: Continuously read from/write to a single 16GB file for 3 minutes; Block size: 64KB for SMB, 4KB for IOPS and iSCSI
- 1GbE Web Server Network Environment:
- Intel Core i7-6700 3.40GHz; 16GB DDR4-2133; Intel Gigabit CT; MTU 1500; Ubuntu 16.04
- (html) wrk -t 8 -c [10-250] -d 60s -H "Host: benchmark" http://DS_IP/index.html
- (php) wrk -t 8 -c [10-250] -d 60s -H "Host: benchmark"http://DS_IP/echo.php
- Performance figures are achieved in the Synology lab by using very powerful client computers with optimized network settings, and could vary in different environments. Regular office desktop or notebook computers may not be able to reproduce these figures.
Download the Synology RackStation RS4017xs+ Datasheet (PDF).