Business-class storage capacity and performance for demanding work environments
Get a Quote!
Synology DiskStation DS3617xs provides the reliable and ultra-high performance network attached storage solution for large-scale businesses that require an efficient way to centralize data protection, simplify data management, deploy virtualization solutions, and rapidly expand storage capacity with minimal time spent on setup and maintenance. Synology DS3617xs is backed with Synology’s 5-year limited warranty.
- Ultra-high performance of over 2,358 MB/s sequential throughput reading and 406,760 sequential IOPS reading
- Intel Xeon D-1527 quad-core CPU and 16 GB (up to 48 GB) DDR4 ECC SODIMM
- Scale up to 36 drives with 2 x Synology Expansion Unit DX1215
- PCIe 3.0 slot to support optional high performance network interface card
- Advanced Btrfs file system offering 65,000 system-wide snapshots and 1,024 snapshots per shared folder
- Complete virtualization solution for VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Hyper-V and OpenStack
- Backed with SRS, Synology's next business day replacement service
Synology DS3617xs is a 12-bay desktop network attached storage solution with powerful network performance and easy management. The NAS integrates an Intel® Xeon® D-1527 quad-core processor and dual-channel 16 GB DDR4 ECC SO-DIMM (up to 48 GB), providing fast system response time and optimized multitasking operation. With an optional 10GbE network card installed, DS3617xs delivers outstanding network performance at over 2,358 MB/s sequential throughputreading and 406,760 sequential IOPS reading under a RAID 5 configuration with 10GbE Link Aggregation enabled.
DS3617xs provides seamless storage solutions for virtualization environments, including VMware, Citrix, Hyper-V, and OpenStack. With VMware vSphere 6 and VAAI integration certified, DS3617xs helps offload specific storage operations and optimizes computation power for unparalleled performance and efficiency in VMware environments. As the centralized storage of a virtual environment, DS3617xs enables virtual machine migration, allowing movement from server to server whilst eliminating service downtime and disruption to users. Windows Offloaded Data Transfer (ODX) and Synology Advanced LUN support greatly improves the efficiency on massive data transfer and migration. With OpenStack support, DS3617xs can be used as a block-based storage component for servers complying with the Cinder API.
Comprehensive Business Applications
Powered by the innovative Synology DiskStation Manager (DSM), DS3617xs comes fully-equipped with applications and features designed specifically for large-scale business:
- Windows AD and LDAP support allows easy integration with existing business directory services without recreating user accounts.
- Windows ACL support provides fine-grained access control and efficient privilege settings, allowing DS3617xs to fit seamlessly into current infrastructure.
- Application privileges controls access to applications and packages based on each individual account, user group, or IP address.
Management of the storage space on DS3617xs is simple and flexible. Multiple Volumes on RAID allows you to create more than one volume on a RAID structure, providing a flexible and efficient way to manage your storage across all available hard drives. When the need for more space arises, the volume can be easily expanded without any service disruption. DS3617xs provides the ability to seamlessly expand a single volume up to 108 TB (default) / 200 TB (with at least 32 GB RAM installed) on the fly. When the storage capacity of DS3617xs nears its limit, expansion is easily accomplished with up to two Synology Expansion Unit DX1215 to support up to 36 SATA drives.
Reliability, Availability & Disaster Recovery
System reliability is of paramount importance to businesses which depend upon their commercial servers every day. DS3617xs responds to these concerns with wide-ranging availability and redundancy features:
- Synology High Availability ensures seamless transition between clustered servers in the event of server failure with minimal impact on applications.
- Snapshot Replication provides schedulable, near-instantaneous data protection, ensuring business documents in shared folders, virtual machines in iSCSI LUNs, or dockerized application data remain safe and available in the event of a disaster.
- Redundant system fans and network ports with failover support ensure continual service uptime.
- High reliability system design including fan-less CPU heat-sink and passive cooling technology prevents single points of failure.
- DDR4 ECC SO-DIMM reduces power consumption and has error detection and correction capabilities during data transmission.
High-performance rackmount NAS with easy scalability
RS3617xs is designed to allow for effortless scalability up to 36 drive bays. The quad-core Xeon processor is suitable for running additional virtual machines while meeting intensive data transfer requirements.
10GbE ready, and beyond
Two PCIe 3.0 slots ensure faster networking as you expand your infrastructure. Together with the built-in quad Gigabit ports, RS3617xs offers comprehensive connectivity options for link aggregation and failover configurations.
Digital asset protection
Powered by Synology DiskStation Manager (DSM), Synology NAS offers advanced security measures to protect against sudden data loss and potential security holes.
- Security Advisor
Analyzes system settings, password strength, network preferences, and removes any possible malware.
A kernel-level enhancement that blocks malicious programs from accessing unauthorized system resources.
- AES 256-bit encryption
Encrypt shared folders and network data transmission to keep data from unauthorized access.
- 2-step verification
Prevent others from logging in to your DSM by generating a one-time password (OTP) on your mobile device.
- Trust Level
Customize the trust level in Package Center to avoid installing packages from untrusted sources, safeguarding your NAS from unknown or tampered package files.
Complete iSCSI and virtualization solutions
Synology iSCSI storage supports most virtualization solutions including VMware vSphere, Microsoft Hyper-V, Citrix Xen Server, and OpenStack Cinder, to enhance work efficiency. Create and manage virtual machines running multiple operating systems such as Windows, Linux, and DSM using Virtual Machine Manager.
Btrfs: Next generation storage efficiency
Btrfs file system introduces the most advanced storage technologies to meet the management needs of modern large scale businesses:
- Flexible Shared Folder/User Quota System provides comprehensive quota control on all user accounts and shared folders
- Snapshot Replication provides schedulable and storage capacity-saving data protection with 1,024 shared folder backups and 65,000 system-wide snapshots
- File or folder level data restoration makes data recovery fast and flexible
- Automatic file self-healing detects and recovers corrupted files without user intervention
5 year warranty
Synology's 5-year limited warranty provides hardware replacement and technical support via email and telephone services, maximizing your enterprises' return on investment.
Powered by Synology DSM
Manage multiple Synology NAS servers simultaneously on a centralized interface to increase business efficiency.
Secure, reliable, and private mail server solution with an intuitive and modern mail client.
Synology High Availability
Ensures seamless service transition between clustered servers in the event of a server failure.
Collaborate together on spreadsheets and documents on your own private cloud.
Provides schedulable and instantaneous data protection for shared folders and virtual machines on iSCSI LUNs in the event of disaster.
Comprehensive built-in security tools are constantly updated to tackle evolving threats and protect your devices.
- Status indicator
- Alert indicator
- Drive status indicator
- Drive tray lock
- Power button and indicator
- LAN indicator
- PCIe 3.0 slot
- USB 3.0 port
- Expansion port
- Reset button
- Console port
- 1GbE RJ-45 port
- Power port
|CPU Model||Intel Xeon D-1527|
|CPU Frequency||Quad Core 2.2 (base) / 2.7 (turbo) GHz|
|Hardware Encryption Engine (AES-NI)|
|System Memory||16 GB DDR4 ECC SO-DIMM|
|Memory Module Pre-installed||16GB (2 x 8GB)|
|Total Memory Slots||4|
|Memory Expandable up to||48 GB (16 GB + 16 GB x 2)|
|Maximum Drive Bays with Expansion Unit||36|
|Compatible Drive Type||
|Maximum Internal Raw Capacity||120 TB (10 TB drive x 12) (Capacity may vary by RAID types)|
|Maximum Raw Capacity with Expansion Units||360 TB (10 TB drive x 36) (Capacity may vary by RAID types)|
|Maximum Single Volume Size||
|Hot Swappable Drive|
|RJ-45 1GbE LAN Port||4 (with Link Aggregation / Failover support)|
|USB 3.0 Port||2|
|PCIe Expansion||1 x Gen3 x8 slot (x8 link)|
|Add-in-card support||PCIe Network Interface Card|
|Notes||exFAT Access is purchased separately in Package Center.|
|Size (Height X Width X Depth)||270 mm x 300 mm x 340 mm|
|System Fan||120 mm x 120 mm x 2 pcs|
|Fan Speed Mode||
|Easy Replacement System Fan|
|Noise Level||22.3 dB(A)|
|Scheduled Power On/Off|
|Wake on LAN/WAN|
|Power Supply Unit / Adapter||500W|
|AC Input Power Voltage||100V to 240V AC|
|Power Frequency||50/60 Hz, Single Phase|
|Power Consumption*||108.2 W (Access)
53.4 W (HDD Hibernation)
|British Thermal Unit||369.4 BTU/hr (Access)
182.3 BTU/hr (HDD Hibernation)
|Operating Temperature||5°C to 40°C (40°F to 104°F)|
|Storage Temperature||-20°C to 60°C (-5°F to 140°F)|
|Relative Humidity||5% to 95% RH|
|Networking protocol||CIFS, AFP, NFS, FTP, WebDAV, CalDAV, iSCSI, Telnet, SSH, SNMP, VPN (PPTP, OpenVPN, L2TP)|
|Supported RAID type||Basic, JBOD, RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 6, RAID 10|
|File sharing capability||
|Privilege||Windows Access Control List (ACL)|
|Virtualization||VMware vSphere 6, Microsoft Hyper-V, Citrix, OpenStack|
|Directory service||Windows AD integration: Domain users login via Samba (CIFS) / AFP / FTP / File Station, LDAP integration|
|Security||FTP over SSL / TLS, IP auto-block, firewall, encrypted network backup over Rsync, HTTPS connection|
|Utilities||Synology Web Assistant, Cloud Station Drive, Cloud Station Backup, Cloud Sync Decryption Tool, Evidence Integrity Authenticator, Photo Station Uploader, Snapshot Manager for VMware, Snapshot Manager for Windows, NFS Plug-in for VMware VAAI|
|Supported client||Windows 7 onward, Mac OS X 10.10 onwards|
|Supported browser||Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 9 onwards, Safari 8 onwards; Safari (iOS 7 onwards), Chrome (Android 4.0 onwards) on tablets|
|Interface language||English, Deutsch, Français, Italiano, Español, Dansk, Norsk, Svensk, Nederlands, Русский, Polski, Magyar, Português do Brasil, Português Europeu, Türkçe, Český|
|File Station||Virtual drive, remote folder, Windows ACL editor, compress/extract archived files, bandwidth control for specific users or groups, create sharing links, transfer logs|
|Backup solutions||Network backup; local backup; desktop backup; configuration backup; OS X Time Machine; backup data to public cloud; shared folder sync - maximum task number: 16|
|FTP Server||Bandwidth control for TCP connections, custom FTP passive port range, anonymous FTP, FTP SSL/TLS and SFTP protocols, boot over the network with TFTP and PXE support, transfer logs|
|High Availability Manager||Combines two DS3617xs into one high-availability cluster|
|Security Advisor||Malware detection/removal, user account/password, network, system-related security scan|
|iOS/Android applications||DS cloud, DS file, DS finder, DS cam, DS note, MailPlus|
|Windows Phone applications||DS file, DS finder|
|Antivirus Essential||Full system scan, scheduled scan, white list customization, virus definition auto update|
|Cloud Station Suite||Maximum concurrent file transfers: 2000, retain historical and deleted file versions|
|Cloud Sync||One or two-way synchronization with public cloud storage providers including Amazon Cloud Drive, Amazon S3-compatible storage, Baiduyun, Box, Dropbox, Google Cloud Storage, Google Drive, hubiC, Megafon Disk, Microsoft OneDrive, OpenStack Swift-compatible storage, WebDAV servers, Yandex Disk|
|Log Center||SSL connection, log rotation: 6 months, 1 year, 2 years, 3 years, email notification|
|MailPlus||Intuitive webmail interface for MailPlus Server; customizable mail labels, filters and user interface|
|MailPlus Server||Secure, reliable, and private mail solution with High-availability, load balancing, security and filtering design (Includes 5 free email account licenses; additional accounts require the purchasing of additional licenses)|
|Note Station||Rich-text note organization and versioning, encryption, sharing, media embedding and attachments|
|Storage Analyzer||Volume and quota usage, total size of files, volume usage and trends based on past usage, size of shared folders, largest/most/least frequently modified files|
|Surveillance Station||Maximum IP camera: 75 (total of 2250 FPS at 720p, H.264) (Including two free camera licenses. Procurement of additional licenses is required.)|
|VPN Server||Maximum connections: 30; supported VPN protocol: PPTP, OpenVPN, L2TP|
|Web Station||Virtual host (up to 30 websites), PHP/MariaDB, 3rd-party applications support|
|Other packages||Photo Station, Audio Station, iTunes Server, additional 3rd-party packages are available on Package Center|
|Environment & Packaging:|
*Model specifications are subject to change without notice. Please refer to www.synology.com for the latest information.
1 Performance figures may vary depending on environment, usage and configuration.
2 Available in selected countries only. For detailed terms and conditions, please visit the Synology Replacement Service (SRS) website at https://srs.synology.com.
3 exFAT Access is purchased separately in Package Center
Synology strives to enhance the performance of our NAS with every software update, even long after a product is launched. For enterprises and users that demand uncompromising performance from their servers, check the figures below to find the most suitable choice.
Aggregated 10GbE SMB - Sequential Throughput (64KB)
Aggregated 10GbE SMB - Sequential Throughput via Encrypted Shared Folder (64KB)
Aggregated 10GbE SMB - Sequential IOPS (4KB)
Aggregated 10GbE SMB - Random IOPS (4KB)
10GbE iSCSI - Random IOPS (4KB)
1GbE Web Server - HTML Response Efficiency
|Responses per second||206844.45||206230.02||206829.64||206029.56||203557.34||207195.69||203230.31||154099.02|
1GbE Web Server - PHP Response Efficiency
|Responses per second||59770.68||82017.29||94612.93||82507.9||60403.53||59953.64||57127.87||31322.65|
- Operating System: DSM 6.1
- Volume Type: RAID 5
- RC18015xs+ with RXD1215sas, RS18017xs+: Fully loaded with HGST HUSMH8020BSS200 SAS SSD
- DS3018xs: Fully loaded with Intel DC S3710 series 800GB SSDSC2BA800G4 SATA SSD
- Other models: Fully loaded with Intel 535 series 240GB SSDSC2BW240H6 SSD
- RS18017xs+: 32GB DDR4 ECC RDIMM (16GB x 2)
- RS4017xs+, RS3617xs+, RS3617RPxs: 16GB DDR4 ECC UDIMM (8GB x 2)
- DS3018xs: 32GB DDR4 ECC SO-DIMM (16GB x 2)
- Other models: System default capacity
- File System: Btrfs
- Aggregated 10GbE SMB and 10GbE iSCSI network environment:
- RS18017xs+, RS4017xs+, RS3617xs+: 6 x 10GbE ports (built-in 10GbE ports + 2 x Intel X540-T2 NIC); MTU 9000; connected to client PCs via Netgear M4300-24X24F switch
- RS3617RPxs, RS3617xs: 4 x 10GbE ports (2 x Intel X520-DA2 NIC); MTU 9000; connected to client PCs via Juniper QFX5100-48S-AFO switch
- RC18015xs+, DS3617xs, DS3018xs: 2 x 10GbE ports (1 x Intel X520-DA2 NIC); MTU 9000; connected to client PCs via Juniper QFX5100-48S-AFO switch
- For RS18017xs+, RS4017xs+, RS3617xs+: Intel Core i7-4790 3.60GHz; 4GB DDR3-1600; Synology E10G17-F2 NIC; MTU 9000; Windows 7 64 bit
- For other models: Intel Core i7-4790 3.60GHz; 4GB DDR3-1600; Intel X520-DA2 NIC; MTU 9000; Windows 7 64 bit
- IOMeter configuration: Continuously read from/write to a single 16GB file for 3 minutes; Block size: 64KB for SMB, 4KB for IOPS and iSCSI
- 1GbE Web Server Network Environment:
- Intel Core i7-6700 3.40GHz; 16GB DDR4-2133; Intel Gigabit CT; MTU 1500; Ubuntu 16.04
- (html) wrk -t 8 -c [10-250] -d 60s -H "Host: benchmark" http://DS_IP/index.html
- (php) wrk -t 8 -c [10-250] -d 60s -H "Host: benchmark"http://DS_IP/echo.php
- Performance figures are achieved in the Synology lab by using very powerful client computers with optimized network settings, and could vary in different environments. Regular office desktop or notebook computers may not be able to reproduce these figures.
Download the Synology DiskStation DS3617xs Datasheet (PDF).
- Pricing and product availability subject to change without notice.
Get a Quote!
Get a Quote!
Get a Quote!
Get a Quote!
Get a Quote!
Get a Quote!
Get a Quote!
Get a Quote!
Get a Quote!
Get a Quote!
Get a Quote!
Get a Quote!
Get a Quote!